By David K. Leff
Female doctors were rare in the late nineteenth century so it’s remarkable that Ida Gridley Case (1862-1904) not only practiced medicine in small village like Collinsville, but that she was a native of Canton. Case became a member of the Canton Center Congregational Church in 1876, graduated from Collinsville High School in 1880, and then from Wesleyan University in Middletown in 1884. She taught at a private school in Canton Center for a while and then began studying medicine with a couple of Collinsville doctors.
Case attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Boston and later did post graduate work at the Collegeof Physicians in New York. She specialized in diseases of the eye and ear and “was considered by the profession one of the best experts in the state,” according to The Hartford Times. She delivered papers on her specialty at meetings in New York, Philadelphia and Hartford. … Continue Reading