As part of the Canton Police Department’s Community Policing Program, the department recently announced a program to protect against thieves stealing packages off of resident’s doorsteps. According to a recent report from Insurancequotes.com, 23 million Americans have had packages stolen from front porches or mailboxes before the packages reach the rightful owner.
There are several ways you can help protect yourself from being a victim of package theft:
- If you are expecting a package, try to have someone at home to accept it.
- Some delivery services allow the recipient to sign-up for email or text alerts. Take advantage of this service and track your package, so it can be received or picked up from the porch ASAP.
- If the delivery service allows you to change the delivery date/time of the package to a time when someone is home, do so.
- Have the package delivered to a trusted neighbor who is home or request the package require a signature, so it won’t be dropped and you can make arrangements to pick it up or be delivered at a time when someone can sign for it.
- Have the delivery service hold the package at their warehouse where you can retrieve it.